UPDATE on my friend’s son. He’s home from the hospital with no clearcut diagnosis, but he seems to be feeling better. Thank you all so much for your kind words. I’m very glad it all turned out OK.
And now, back to me — my favorite subject — and my Countdown to Sexy Time.
The welcome home table… see the tugboat shaped rock attached by a “towline” to a barge shaped rock? Those were our special finds on our hike in Palm Springs. (Click to read about it) I’ve loaded the barge with cargo of dark chocolate chips. Cute, huh? He’ll really like my creativity.
.Just started the Princess Rosebud Bake-Off:
2. Overnight French Bread
3. Chocolate Chip Cookies
4. Carrot Cake (you can see that I already tasted it–I DID have to make sure it was OK, didn’t I?)
That would be great with the Overnight French Bread although I might save that for Friday when my son and DIL are here.
All I’ve had to eat all day is two hard boiled eggs and one of my special secret formula wheat grass smoothies, so I’m totally ready for food.
The big question…
What should I wear?
I never had the chance to shop for a new outfit but I do have new boots; his unexpected afternoon arrival wreaks havoc with my original plan of an evening gown and spiky heels.
Although….I’m not ruling out an evening gown; I’ve been known to wear one to the airport, but we have a couple of stops on the way home–I’ll need to figure something out.
He tells me to dress “normal” and I always ask him if he has any idea who he’s married to, or should I say “to whom he’s married”. LOL
Any ideas? I’m open to suggestions. And if you’ll excuse me, I gotta mow my legs now…
Lowfat Carrot Cake
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 teaspoon, plus 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream (I used nonfat yogurt, a great substitution)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup loosely packed carrots shreds, about 2 medium carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh or canned pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (Optional)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 6 cup nonstick Bundt pan. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, 1/4 cup sour cream, the oil, egg, and vanilla until smooth. Stir in the carrots, pineapple and walnuts. Stir in the flour mixture until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool for 15 minutes, then invert onto the rack, remove the pan and let cool completely.
3. Using a wooden spoon, mix cream cheese and butter. Add confectioners’ sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Spread or drizzle on top of cake only.
Lowfat (there’s a theme here) Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp butter, melted and 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp grated raw apple or applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 375°. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. I cannot live without parchment paper. It makes clean up soooo easy! In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt and stir to blend. In another bowl, whisk the sugars, butter, egg white, apple/sauce and vanilla together until light and fluffy. Whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in two additions until the batter is very well blended. If the batter looks more “crumbly” than smooth, add just a drop of water at a time (ONLY if needed) until it smooths out. Fold in chocolate chips. Bake 8 – 10 minutes. Remove from the oven, and let them stand 5 minutes before removing the cookies from the pans to cool on wire racks.
Overnight French Bread
I attempted to inbed the html, but it wouldn’t work, but if you click on the title, it should take you to the recipe I use.
- Mini Chocolate Chunk Cupcakes with Choc Chip Vanilla Frosting… to die for! Absolutely AMAZING!! (sugarandspicebaking.com)
- Food from Scratch (fullofgraces.com)
- Super Moist Carrot Cake. (sallysbakingaddiction.com)
- A Perfect Cake and a Mediocre First Post (airrunn.wordpress.com)