I don’t know what just happened with my previous publish. Maybe the Elf on a Shelf has infiltrated the offices or computers at WordPress, but it all went haywire, deleted 90% of my Time Capsule post and then re-posted a re-blogged post. Drinks all around! Sorry for the annoyance. Hopefully, this goes right…
The year is drawing to a close. What would you put in a 2012 “Time capsule”?
In 1990, when my son was in elementary school, they created a time capsule and included items like mini-skateboards, sand, Vans shoes, Airheads, Nerds ,Pop Rocks, and a surfing video, “Gleaming the Cube“. The list of favorite songs (girls) included “Hold On” by Wilson Phillips and Madonna’s “Vogue”. The boys liked Bon Jovi and Guns and Roses. His favorite (and most annoying) saying was “talk to the hand”.
If I wanted to communicate with the future (assuming there is one), I don’t have a clue what to pack away. I’m embarrassed by our callous disregard for the environment, our children, and animals. I don’t think that a box of things conveys my personal message to those who inherit the earth, (except of course for the assortment of my favorite seashells.)
My time capsule would be more of a plea or a wish list.
1. By this time, I hope you’ve learned to honor and respect animals.
2. I hope with all my heart that you never abuse or mistreat any living creature.
3. I hope you don’t EAT animals anymore, and that you’ve created another nutritious food source that isn’t based on death.
4. I hope you’ve figured out how to feed and house starving people everywhere.
5. Please look at the news for 2012 and realize that child abuse must be abolished.
6. I wish for every child to know a life of love and nurturing.
7. Take a look at this photo of the Arctic and vow to become global stewards and protect the world, not destroy it.
8. Read a lot of history books. Read the classics. Read a lot. Learn. Think. Care.
9. See the video I’ve included of injured and broken men and women in uniform?
10. Please end war.
- Daily Prompt: Time Capsule (stuphblog.wordpress.com)
- Don’t open until 2062: What items did Walker officials, others drop into 50th anniversary time capsule? (mlive.com)
- Daily Prompt: Time Capsule (musicalfoodielove.wordpress.com)