A normal life…for now

It’s been a real treat having my tugboat captain home! He’s been here almost a month and we’re settling into our familiar routines. I know that any minute his cell’s gonna ring and he’ll be flying off to another assignment, but for now, I’m really enjoying the normal-ness of having him around.

Right before he gets here, I go through all the stress of getting me and the house ready, baking his favorites, and all that welcome home stuff.

When he arrives, there’s always an adjustment period–at least for me–retraining myself to keep the bathroom door closed, dealing with his mounds of laundry, and learning to share the bed. The grocery bill goes up about a thousand percent–it seems like he thinks he needs to eat EVERY SINGLE DAY-what’s up with that?

We like to read together, either in front of the fire or before going to sleep. I think that’s probably some of the most special and restoring times of all. It’s such a pleasure to read a few pages, look up, quietly make eye contact and smile, and resume reading.

When my son and DIL are here, and it’s quiet except for the turning of pages and perhaps a chuckle or two, I look around the family room and see all of the heads bowed over books–it’s some of my happiest family times.

The book hubs is currently reading is The Way Out by Craig Childs. He previously read The True Story of Water, a gift from my son. Craig Childs is a naturalist, adventurer, and desert ecologist. In this intensely dramatic narrative–the record of a perilous excursion into the wild–two men confront immutable forces of nature and the limits of their own sanity. Childs is lost. In a labyrinth of canyons in the American Southwest where virtually nothing else is alive– barely any vegetation, few signs of wildlife, scant traces of any human precursors in this landscape–Childs and his friend undertake a journey. With as much food and gear as they can carry, and little else but their wiles to help them traverse the inhospitable, unmappable terrain, the two men assume the life-or-death challenge of exploring this land–and then finding a way out. Equally gripping as their adventure in the wild is the parallel story, told in flashback, of what propelled the two men into these extreme circumstances.

I’m reading an exquisite novel, The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery, a bestseller in France. I’ve only just started it, and I’m still at the stage of being introduced to the characters so I don’t really have a grasp about what’s going on, but I’m getting pulled into the story, and that’s always a good thing. Has anyone else read this? It’s been out for a few years.

Finishing up the tugboat man’s interview–thank you for your questions–and a post about  grumpy old men.

Advertisements

45 thoughts on “A normal life…for now

• He said he’s been there, but it was many years ago. He just said there’s no surf, so it’s doubtful he could be a total transplant but for a visit with me? We might take you up on the tour!

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

• Thank you for seeing that! It’s what I felt and it’s just so peaceful to be in the same room, no conversation, just a presence! (Better when my son’s here!!!)

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

1. poor dear, just when it gets cozy, up he goes, huh? It must keep things fresh, though. When we have a long weekend or the holidays its hard for me to let the Husband go back to work, even though he will be back later that night, but I have to say, I do enjoy the evenings I have had to myself…and when he was out-of-town to see his father, I have to say I enjoyed most of the alone -time.That was something I hadn’t had for quite a while, between all the generations around here.

• You exhibit a very peaceful aura, I would never guess your days are filled with drama; kids in, kids out, I think you are the one who could really benefit from that quiet time, but take it from me, it gets OLD after 3 months!

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 6:11 PM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

• Since I have no friends in the REAL world, y’all are my only source of human interaction except for mean people.

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 6:46 PM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

• Well, there we go again! I had a major melt-down over trying to deal with the ‘locals’ here.I am in exile,( and have no idea what I did to deserve this).If it were not for the likes of you and a few choice people and sites that I enjoy, I would go postal in a heartbeat!
        (You, you crazy thing, help save my sanity!)

• It’s not normal weather here. It’s been freezing (for real) at night, and so cold during the day I can’t even open a window! Hope you make it to the doc OK.

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 6:57 PM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

2. Sounds like you are both having some calm and peaceful times with reading. It is amazing how reading brings people together 🙂 Enjoy!

• I remember when I taught school and there was the group silent reading time after recess. The quiet was lovely, watching (mostly) everyone reading. I loved teaching when they were SILENT!

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 6:32 PM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

3. I sure can picture that as my boyfriend and I both enjoy reading. Haven’t read the Hedgehog book but will also check at the library. I have always enjoyed reading so much. I also don’t have any friends in the outside world and think that is why I enjoy your blog so much ♥

4. It’s those down times that make life meaningful I think.. a good book, quiet conversation before turning out the light are memorable moments.. i have not read that book so give us all a review when you are finished!!!

5. Love this! My hubby was in the Navy many years ago. The adjustment was always different because he came home to 3 growing girls and me! It was rarely a quiet time. 🙂

• Well…you are a smart one, I annoy him constantly with commentary, questions, “whatcha reading now, what page are you on, why aren’t you paying attention to me, you look funny in your reading glasses, can you feel me pulling your arm hair, does it hurt, am i annoying you yet…” those kinds of things which are prolly more interesting than the vision of us sitting quietly reading. hee hee.

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

6. Pingback: Because of a COMMENT by Cowboys and Crossbones | Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugboat Captain's Wife

• I thank you for that, and they are both true. Sometimes we are idyllic and sometimes we are like two kids. Oh well, I ‘m glad you enjoyed it!

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 12:55 AM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

7. My hubs (before he retired…that’s a whole ‘nother issue) worked away from family Monday – Friday for most of our marriage —preparing meals for an adult was one of the most annoying thing to get used to when he came home…that and reverting to “we” instead of “me” or “I” in general conversation. And don’t get me started on the “where you going…or what are you doing” inquisition. It wasn’t so much cooking for an adult that made me nuts, but the idea that he seemed to think he always had an alternative choice. Even now that he’s retired he has a habit of thinking he lives in a cafeteria or a restaurant or an “all you can eat smorg”. And heaven forbid that he might eat “leftovers” or the same thing twice in a week. Whenever he was home on weekends or sick or holidays or wcb leave….I usually had to remind the kids “you better hurry and get your plates —your fathers home “, cause there were ….times he piled his plate and didn’t leave much for the rest of us. It was either the eating like a “king” during the week or growing up with 7 siblings. I could never figure it out….and the “three meals a day” that really cramped my style. And what’s wrong with only toast for breakfast…geez who has the inclination to make eggs, hash browns, fruit with the toast. ” Do I look like I live in a Restaurant”??? When he retired…I went back to work, and made him fend for himself ….poor guy

• Sometimes a spouse can be so inconsiderate! I hear you about big portions, altho I’ve now turned into the portion control police and he lost a few pounds which made him happy, but my son eats enough for 6 people, so I’m used to cooking a lot of extra! Thank you for stopping by!

• That was probably the best thing you could have done for your husband,Kathy! Mine, on the other hand, has no problem with leftovers, but I try to freeze them for later meals. He makes sure he eats older foods first.Sometimes it gets comical; EVERY meal becomes a ‘leftover’ since he thinks he needs to eat older food first, so everything I made fresh becomes an older food…so I just quit cooking for a while and let him clean out the fridge.Mine gets mad when I give him a choice of meals, believe it or not.Drives me nuts. If we could run ours into each other, they may even out!

Now it's your turn to share your pearls with me. Cheers!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s