He Who Tugs At My Heart

Our first Valentine’s Day…a sweet moment in time

10:00 a.m. Pre-boarding routine on a 350 passenger charter vessel.

On the dock, the ramp is placed snugly against the vessel’s port side; a deckhand wipes it down to avoid any mishaps.

The captain checks with his crew to confirm that they’re stationed in the designated safety zones.

In the bathroom, the marketing coordinator fluffs out her hair and re-applies lipstick, grabs the clipboard, reviews any late changes for this corporate charter, scribbles a couple of notes, but her mind isn’t really on her work.

10:30 a.m. Two hundred men, women, and children gather at the foot of the dock awaiting the OK to board.

The captain straightens the gold stripes on his shoulders and counts the people clicker down to zero.

I take my place on his left where I’ll greet everyone with a “Welcome Aboard” after they’re counted.

The captain nods to the deckhand to unhook the velvet rope blocking the gangway.

It’s time to begin the boarding procedure.

He turns to me and whispers in my right ear, “My heart is melting.”

WTF. That is just so HIM, to say something so monumental and amazing and unexpected–and it took my breath away. Literally.  My mouth dropped open. (It really did, I remember it like it happened yesterday.) I had no sense of what went on for the next three hours. I was a zombie.

When all the guests were escorted to their seats and listened to the safety speech and lines were untied and we were underway, and after I had answered a million questions about our destination and passed out a few barf bags, I opened the door to the wheelhouse and handed my captain a cup of coffee.

I was suddenly shy. “Hi.”

“Thanks for the coffee.”

“Why did you say that, you know, back there?”

“Because it’s true.”

“You can’t just say something like that and expect me to just go on and act all normal.”

“I just did.”

Well, tugboat man, it’s our twenty-third Valentine’s Day, and you still make MY heart melt every time I look in your amazing grayish blue eyes.

I love you.

59 thoughts on “He Who Tugs At My Heart

• sniff sniff, thank you! Happy Valentines Day, do you even celebrate that up there? (BTW, you can certainly get a great view of everyone’s parenting techniques with your crafty little post, eh?)

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 7:41 AM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

• Oh yeah, but no one really surprised me with anything they had to say. I think I am more like you, on the conservative side. I hold my children close, sometimes smotheringly close, but that’s just me LOL.

And I really did love this Valentine’s post. I think you should write some romance – maybe even get on that erotica business – you know the words to melt a person’s heart. Or at least, your tugboat man does. 🙂

• I know it prolly sounds crazy but i always thought that it just takes one wrong decision and something bad could happen to him so I did stuff like walk him TO his classroom door and pick him up there(and we live right across from the school) up until he was like 10 and he asked me not to, so I would wait at the fence and still walk him across the street. whatev. it only takes once. and his biodad and step all agreed with me so I never had arguments that I was too protective. on the other subject, maybe romance….not sure I know enough about erotic stuff to do it justice!

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 7:54 AM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

• I always walked my kids to school until they were about that age, and we lived just down the street. 🙂

And if you’ve had sex – which clearly you have LOL – and you are perceptive at all – which clearly you are – then you can write erotica.

• i would be sooooo embarassed for my son to read any of that, truth! and btw, i coulda figured you were the kinda great mom who’d go that extra step to ensure safety of your precious ones 🙂

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 9:05 AM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

• I have been thinking about it…of course I’ll tell you! PS on another subject, how about your daughter coming to SoCal? Weather’s great, it’s safe if she doesn’t go to Mexico (and you could stay with us and keep an eye on her haha)

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

• She said either New York or California, so that may be an option, though I don’t know about the dance opportunities there. We’ll have to check into it more. She knows quite a few girls who have gone to New York from her school.

• NY is def better for dance and all culture, but if she just wants a warm weather vacation, socal is safer than the caribbean for a young girl. (did you know I was a shouldawouldacoulda been real ballerina? yup, was even going to go to the Winnipeg Ballet, but I’m too short and more imp not talented enough, but my most loved instructor went on to become a famous ballet company guy)

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 12:25 PM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

• Yoo hoo! Hollywood!!! Did you hear Ginger??? Give us a call, k? No really, that’s sweet. He was amazing. He doesn’t talk as much as I do (duh no one does) but the things he says are for memorable! It makes it hard to be mad at him sometimes. Only sometimes! Happy V day!

1. on, no.You may not have always had smooth sailing,(good for your soul), but really,Kiddo, you have had a lot of blessings.As long as you appreciate them,I’m happy for you.I like you. Good example or not, he found someone he can feel that way about…and the glass slipper fits you.

• And the same to you! I only have a hub by email for now, but I always like to look on the bright side, glass half full and all that. Have a lovely weekend! It’s super hot down here!

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 1:51 PM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

2. Pingback: It’s Valentine’s Day. How About Practicing Random Acts of Romance? | Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugboat Captain's Wife

Now it's your turn to share your pearls with me. Cheers!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s