I heard the car door slam, and immediately looked at the clock.
He wasn’t supposed to be home until the next day.
“Get your clothes and get out NOW!”
“No, not that way, go out the back door. Hide in the shed until I give you the signal and then open the back gate and GO!”
Thank goodness we had the foresight to park his car around the block. Nosy neighbors, ya know.
I heard the garage door open and knew that I had barely enough time to make the bed and erase all the clues that I wasn’t alone.
Running into the bathroom, I turned the water on and jumped in the shower to wash away any traces of what had just happened.
I had not taken off my single strand of pearls; I’m never without them.
“Hi June, I’m home! Where is everyone? I’m famished. What’s for dinner?”
“Hello Ward, how was your business trip? I am VERY upset with the Beaver; he was sent to the principal’s office again for having his shirt untucked, and Wally got in some mischief with that Eddie Haskell. You’re going to have to speak to the boy.”
Ward hadn’t noticed a thing; as long as he had his newspaper handed to him and the scent of a roast in the oven, he would never suspect that June didn’t spend her entire day cleaning in high heels.
This is the backstory of the Cleavers, that lovely suburban family in “Leave it to Beaver”
- Daily Prompt: The Clock… digital awakenings | Fasting, Food and other musings by determined34
- The Clock Test | The Chatter Blog
- Tick Tock. | Hope* the happy hugger
- The Counting… | Yeahthtsme
- Ulysse « Spunky Wayfarer
- Daily Prompt: The Clock « Completely Disappear
- The Unbearable Burden of Beauty | Rolbos ©
- Time To Rewrite (Short story) | The Jittery Goat
- Daily Prompt: The Clock « Mama Bear Musings
- Daily Prompt: The Clock « JUkk
- The Clock | MC’s Whispers
- Daily Prompt: The Clock (Fiction Story) « DiaryCube
- Too Late | Chasing The Bubble
- Dead lines | polysyllabic profundities
- Slam – A Daily Prompt Post | Edward Hotspur
- Daily Prompt: The Clock « Chronicles of an Anglo Swiss
- Daily Prompt: The Clock « In Love With The Lord Poetry and Prose
- Daily Prompt: The Clock Was Ticking | My Blog
- Daily Prompt: The Clock 16th February 2013 « ittikorn1994
- DPChallenge: The Clock | stuffy tales
- I Will Be Gone…. « So You Think You Can Think
- The clock always ticks | The Nameless One
- Daily Prompt: The Clock | Daddy’s Naughty Little Girl
- Daily Prompt: The Clock « It is me, Claude. . .
- Daily Post Challenge, I heard the car door slam, and immediately looked at the clock. | notyethere
- Hope | Prayers and Promises
- Time up. | Multifarious meanderings
- daily prompt: the clock | dandelion punch