Dear WordPress…What Am I, CHOPPED LIVER?

What am I, chopped liver?When I was little Princess Rosebud growing up in Detroit,  my mom used to be the Queen of chopped liver.

At Channukah and Sukkos and the High Holidays, our family would come from miles around to chow down on her spectacular cooking and baking, including that tasty, albeit ugly, liver-y creation. Even a sprinkling of chopped hardboiled egg and parsley couldn’t mask the grey/brown blob of mushed up, mashed up internal organ.

Oh, and gribones, which is an artery clogging mixture of fried chicken skins, onions, and schmaltz, which is chicken FAT. Rendered chicken fat. Jars of it in the back of the refrigerator. GAG.

According to Wiki: The word gribenes is related to Griebe (plural Grieben) in various German dialects (from Old High German griobo via Middle High German griebe),[2] where Griebenschmalz is lard from which the cracklings have not been removed. German “Geriebenes” is a matter which has been grated or ground, from German “reiben”, to grind.

No wonder I became a veg.

schroncefgsula.blogspot.com

schroncefgsula.blogspot.com

I’ve been a vegetarian since 1971, when I was still in high school. I haven’t had a taste or even a morsel of meat nor fowl since then, including the liver, chopped or otherwise, of any living creature.

Why the chopped liver memories?

For the longest time, I’ve felt like I’m the human embodiment of chopped liver, ‘cos it seems that I’m the ONLY blog in the entire family of WordPress blogs that hasn’t ever been chosen to be Freshly Pressed.

I’m very sad.

I read a lot of Freshly Pressed posts, and I ponder.

I scratch my head —  and it’s not that I begrudge the recipients who’re chosen, but I’ve held an objective mirror up to my writing and my subject matter and my unique voice, and I truly believe it’s GOOD. In some cases, way better than the lucky bloggers who can boast of being Freshly Pressed.

Lots of people tell me I’m good. Even my son tells me I’m a good writer and he’s pretty stingy with his compliments, which make them all the more valuable — plus he’s a Yale professor AND author, so I take his praise with more than a few grains of salt.

I’ve had readers wonder why they don’t see me in Freshly Pressed, when other bloggers have had multiple posts chosen.

In my not-really-humble opinion, It’s a travesty.

On a serious note, it reeks of favoritism and might as well be advertising and promotion for ONE blogger at the expense of many other worthy writers.

There. I’m finished now.

That’s my Friday rant.

Tonight I’ll light some shabbat candles and wish really hard that one day SOON, I can proudly display a Freshly Pressed badge on my blog.

Dreams CAN come true, ya know.

Hello? WordPress? Can you hear me??

Can you hear me NOW?

Advertisements

133 thoughts on “Dear WordPress…What Am I, CHOPPED LIVER?

1. Hey there 🙂 It’s funny, I wrote a post about never being Freshly Pressed about 2 weeks before I was chosen to be Freshly Pressed. Don’t take it personally… think of the millions of blogs they have to scour through every day to choose. I see it as they haven’t seen yours yet, not that they’re not choosing yours 🙂

• Thank you for that, I hate not being special nor chosen, must be the Princess in me ha ha. But I see other bloggers (who shall remain nameless (NOT you) ) who are repeatedly FPd and it doesn’t seem fair and it doesn’t look like WP is searching for new talent. You ARE a good writer, a real writer, not someone who’s writing inauthentic BS. Oh, I guess I’m still ranting. Bye!

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 9:16 AM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

2. Having been fp’d, I found it to be more of a pain in the ass than an honor.
    Your writing is good, and your following loyal. Much better honors than the opinion of a desk monkey.

• Well, probably not really important in the grand scheme of things, but I do read them from time to time and I see that certain bloggers seem to be favorites and have repeatedly been chosen, which is kinda not the point as I see it of highlighting different writers. It doesn’t seem fair to me, and I got all riled up. I shy away from most things that are competitive so I’m mad at myself for letting it get to me!

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 9:59 AM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

• I have actually looked at the “likes” before and after a blog had been freshly pressed – that is the real test!! I find that most just have a spike. It is an outlier. Before I started blogging I checked in with a Phd in social media, who monitors the blogosphere. The best blogs – the ones that are true to the spirit of social media have one thing in common. They engage others in dialogue. The discussion is as important as the post.

Seems that you fit into that category!! 🙂

• Oh, you are so kind! Thank you very much. I really wasn’t manipulating for compliments, honest, but I’m most appreciative! (My son doesn’t care about likes on his blog either, so that’s another Ph.D. heard from) I’ll remember that, social media, SOCIAL. Engaging others in dialogue. Very thought provoking, Clanmother!

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 10:20 AM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

• OK let me put my investigative reporter hat on again. Honestly, I’m not sure how they pick FPs, but it definitely seems to defeat the point to keep choosing the same bloggers over and over again. They somehow have become favorites and claim an unfair advantage. In my opinion. However, if it was me, would I be complaining? Prob not, so I’m a hypocrite.

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 10:05 AM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

3. Okay, okay, I’ll step forward. It’s embarrassing and humiliating but here goes.

WHAT IS FRESHLY PRESSED? There I said it.

Whatever it is, you deserve accolades because of your writing and your voice. You add value to the world and if Freshly Pressed doesn’t recognize that, then the fault is with them.

• Thank you sweet Cathy. You are a role model for animal lover/activist and of course many other things! FP is a list of a “chosen few”blog posts that the anonymous powers-that-be behind the scenes at WordPress highlight on a daily basis. All of these posts get a huge bump in exposure but I’ve questioned the methods by which millions of posts are scanned and subsequently “chosen” when there are several bloggers who have had multiple posts highlighted while others (like me) who may be just as worthy are unnoticed by the masses. It’s not fair, as I see it. I’m sure in the grand scheme of this world it’s not earthshaking, but I was having a rant.

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

4. pashaw – they don’t know what they are missing.
    Keep doing what you are doing Princess and the day will come when they will be begging for ya!
    In the meantime, fresh press some oj, add some bubbles and call it a party!!
    Happy Weekend!

5. I’ve never been featured in Freshly Pressed either, so you’re not alone. We’re awesome in our own cult following sort of way and out of the limelight 😉

6. Like you, I have never been Fresh Pressed! I used to think it was because I didn’t post too regularly, but now I post at least 2x per week & it still isn’t happening for me. I guess WordPress just doesn’t like a mostly humorous blog!

7. I love chopped liver (and make a mean version of it) and have, with 1500 posts and more than 100,000 hits, never been freshly pressed. I guess they don’t like me. Or you. Why? I have no idea because you’re good. For that matter, so am I. I’m pretty sure somewhere in those 1500 posts, there’s one worthy of the honor. Go figure. You’ve got MY vote.

8. P.S. Let me know if they ever decide to like you. And yes, many people have been FP’d bunches of times and they AREN’T better than me or you or a whole bunch of people who are apparently dismissed as “not up to their standards.” I don’t get it. It hurts. We aren’t just bloggers. We are also people with feelings. So I literally share your pain, as do others who have weighed in here. I don’t usually talk about it because it only makes me feel worse.

• Oh crap, I didn’t want to make you feel bad, who wants someone else to feel bad, left out, not appreciated? Not me, that’s for sure. I haven’t seen any animal activists highlighted, or anyone saying or doing anything to make the world a better place. The thing is, I hate competing, I refuse to enter contests or ask my followers to vote for me or any of that stuff, although I’m fairly supportive of others, but it’s just not me. And yes, I KNOW they’re not better writers than you or me; some of them are so horrible I don’t even finish reading; I just feel even more discouraged. Ah well, I’m glad I met YOU.

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 9:07 PM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

• I am overwhelmed by the triviality and obscurity of many Freshly Pressed choices. There are very good ones, but a lot of the chosen are uninspired at best and drivel at worst. On subjects of no real interest to anyone. They make wonder WHY them? They are writing about nothing. They aren’t funny, they aren’t original. Mainly, they seem to be very good at cleaning up typos. WP has favorites. What’s more, if we complain or dare to question their judgment (I suspect they are all around 12 years old), we get blacklisted and they never read another post we write. Ever.

YOU didn’t make me feel bad. I already felt bad.

• You plucked the thoughts right out of my head. Drivel. What a GREAT word. And I don’t think they’ve written anything I’ve read anyway, so it’s not like I’m going to fall off their radar. I’ve never been ON it. Writing. Real writing. Authentic sounding dialogue. Hard to succeed at and that’s what you do. Your writing flows. I know good writing, I minored in creative writing. I might not always “hit a home run” but I sure know good writing when I read it. And I always am thinking, “why them”. LOL exactly. And not sour grapes, really!!!

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 9:25 PM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

• And I’m a published author. Not a great author. Maybe not even a really good one, but I did it five year ago … and I got a $10.24 royalty check from Amazon this very month to prove it 🙂 I also was a professional writer my entire working life. Not fiction, but I got paid to do it. That’s all I did for 40+ years, so I’m pretty sensitive to the whole writing thing. You make me LAUGH. Really laugh. I read you whenever you publish anything.

• Wow, thank you SO much. See, I could tell, right? I KNEW it. Um, if you ever feel like offering critiques, go for it. I’m open to constructive support from a professional. I spent most of my life at a SAHM and never used my writing for anything other than marketing materials, advertising, news releases, that kind of thing. When my son got his PhD, that was the crowning achievement in MY life, and only the beginning for him.

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 9:45 PM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

• I love your writing. Blogging is supposed to be FUN, not a job. Okay, maybe I’m a bit obsessive about it, but I’m obsessive about almost everything. Press releases? Marketing materials? Advertising? That IS real writing. Professional writing. Not fiction — well maybe it is fiction but it’s not supposed to be — but writing. If they PAY you to do it, you ARE a writer. It’s a simple equations: You get paid to write? You’re a professional writer. You used to get paid to do it? You’re a retired professional writer.

• OK, well, most of my writing was for businesses that hub and I owned, so I can’t honestly say I’ve been paid for the bulk of my writing, but yes, I was the marketing coordinator for a catering company and produced all of their materials so OK, I see your point. I never thought of it that way. Thank you! I would like to still write things like that, but like you, I’m a bit obsessive. You should see the number of revisions/drafts I have for each and every blog. AND I review and proof MOST responses to comments — like this! Very funny.

On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 10:12 PM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

• Working for yourself never feels quite the same as working for others, but if you worked to support a business that supported you, you got paid.Not in the formal way that corporate workers get paid, but you kept a business going and it supported you. YOU GOT PAID. Silly 🙂

9. With all due respect, FP can suck it. Just kidding. That selection team must be overworked, not public school teachers and certainly not tugboat-connected, To play the reverse psychology game (or something), I have made it my business to actively pursue a new personal best each and every day—one more day added too my NFP –Not Freshly Pressed–status. 631 days and counting. Someone needs to develop a logo for THAT.

10. They have never heard me either. It makes me a little sad. I blogged about it over a year ago and the results = nada. ( http://bethannchiles.com/2012/04/26/i-want-to-be-freshly-pressed/) You definitely deserve it. You are not chopped liver. I have read several of your posts over the past couple of weeks (am finally now following you) and love what you have to say. Maybe one more adoring fan will push you over the edge to Freshly Pressed fame. Keeping my fingers crossed!

11. I’ve created an award for you and who feel unrewarded and in need of a fresh pressing. I’m not giving it to a lot of people, just you and one other, probably because there are so many potential candidates, I don’t have the strength of character to do quite that much work. I leave it in your capable hands to roll the ball onward. There are no requirements you give it to any specific number of people — or anybody at all. You don’t have to reveal your hidden secrets or give me a public thank you. It’s just a badge that says “YOU ARE A WINNER” because I think you are. Come visit me at Serendipity (http://teepee12.com/). I’ll have the post up in about half an hour and I’ll make it sticky so you can will find it at the top of the site. Hugs.

12. I don’t even expect to make to FP. I even posted a blog called ‘How I never made it to “Freshly Pressed” and lived to tell the tale’. Because although I don’t think I’m a bad writer – I’ve made money out of it from time to time – I’ve never attracted much attention here, so I’m obviously not particularly interesting. Fair enough. I enjoy doing it, so what the hell.

HOWEVER…

The fact that you and Marilyn have never been freshly pressed is a total nonsense. Marilyn’s was one of the first blogs I followed, and now that I’ve discovered yours (via Marilyn’s) I’ll be signing up here as well. Maybe your problem is that you are both intelligent, articulate, honest and accomplished writers – in other words, THREATENING. Tall poppies stand out in fields of mediocrity. They’re the ones that get cut first.

• Wow, you really know how to make a lonely tugboat captain’s wife feel GOOD, that’s for sure! I think what set me off was that I eagerly clicked on these posts that were handpicked by a “team” and anticipated that they would be gems, well written, important, profound, and very aspirational. The reality is that i couldn’t even make it all the way through reading most of them –BORING–and when I saw the same blogger over and over again, I got mad. With millions of blogs, how can WP justify that? I’m so glad we’ve connected, and I’ll read you happily!

• I’ve felt this way for a while. I didn’t post about it because I didn’t want to sound like y’know, sour grapes. But I would read a few lines of the curren crop of FP’d … then read one of mine … and I’m not crazy. I know I can write. I’ve been writing professionally my whole adult life. So my guess is that they are a lazy, probably understaffed crew and rather than really go looking for new and fresh voices, they go back to places they’ve been before. Why not? But since you brought it up, it has long been a sore point.

I’ve been following you for a while already. I don’t remember when I first saw you, but I started following you immediately. You have a great site here. It really is fresh and unique.

• Well, I am very glad you came out behind the curtain so that we can chat! I’ve been feeling a bit dejected by bloggers “numbers”, being “monetized”, reading about bloggers being delivered packages of merchandise for “sponsored” posts, and some bloggers even have cars delivered to them to try out –and on the other hand there are the animal activist writers who blog for a cause and an important purpose and i so admire them for spreading the word about abuse and cruelty and exploitation. On one hand, I’d like to make some $$$, on the other hand, I want to help the wonderful organizations that are dedicated to saving animals. And the whole FP thing has bothered me for a while too, and also didn’t want to be negative and whiny, but I guess I did, because I did!

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 7:07 PM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

• It was actually brave of you. You opened the door and a whole bunch of us stepped through. But you were the one to open it. That IS brave, really.

• You know, when I was about 30 years younger, we had some older friends, in their 50s. I remember asking them when you stop feeling like a kid and feel grown up. She said “I’ll let you know.” I’m still waiting.

13. Just thought I’d let you now I’ve gotten a remarkable response to my post which is a followup to YOUR post. Apparently, we hit a hot button/sore point. There are quite a few pissed off bloggers on WordPress. I thought I was being a bad sport … I guess not so much 🙂 Too bad no one is really using the badge. I hoped it would catch on. That would’ve been cool.

• I’m glad you reaped benefits from my little hissy fit! And I’ve been gone most of the day; haven’t had a chance to put together a post about your badge, but it’ll be ready to go tomorrow. Give it some time to get the ball rolling! (I’ve been working on things regarding wolves and the imminent de-listing)

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

• How could someone like you (or me) understand their POV? If anything could induce me to become violent, it is this. When we were in Yellowstone, we went to a little town nearby and I almost got in a physical altercation with someone. Almost, cos my hub came between us. I’m only 5ft tall,but I had the rage of giant. I’ve only felt that rage once before, when I defended my son against an IDIOT of a high school counselor who wrongly accused my 4.8 GPA brilliant son of something and embarrassed him. I’ll never forget it! My hub had to hold me back then, too LOL. My son was/is so mild mannered and well behaved that he was an easy target for this JERK, who subsequently was demoted to the junior high because of me. Nobody mistreats my child. Nobody. And that’s how I feel about the mistreatment of any animal.

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 5:59 PM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

• This is why I do NOT work in dog rescue or saving the wolves, whales and other species who have as much or more right to this planet than we do. I can’t handle it. I get totally crazy. I support everyone who does it, but I tried doing it for awhile and I couldn’t sleep. Nightmares. I just lost it. I completely understand you.

• OMG we are so much alike. Nightmares, yes, dwelling on it, seeing the pictures in my mind every time I close my eyes, yes. It really does make me crazy, I become tortured and tormented, and just like you, I am too upset to actually work in rescue, although I’ve done my share of rescuing animals on my own. Very glad to find someone to share this with, especially with hub gone and not really being able to talk to him very much.

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 8:48 PM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

14. My post that was picked was a joke… not my best work, nothing insightful or pertinent to current events, not even something completely original as it was in response to a picture prompt.
    It’s hard to know how to handle the who and when of the picks – the editors are human and their choices are subjective to what resonates with them at that moment. Plus, the sheer volume of posts they have to read through is daunting… how can they ever find anyone to press?
    You generated a 100+ comments with this post. You have the praise of your son and several members of this blogging community. Why do you need a button on your page that says Freshly Pressed?

• I was not referring to you when I was having my little rant. I had read other posts from other bloggers on this same subject and their words resonated with me; some of what is Fpressed (again not yours) was not to our liking-we couldn’t understand why certain bloggers are chosen and others are not (again not you) and we especially thought it was unfair to have the same blogger(s) picked over and over as if they were favorites when, as you pointed out, there are so many writers out there in the WP community. Spread the love. I’m mainly wanting a fair shot. And why do I want that FP badge? Well, who wouldn’t want 200+ likes on their page especially if they have a goal to monetize, be a brand ambassador, or get a publisher. It’s all in the numbers if one’s goal is to have a business, and not necessarily to write solely for catharsis. I think the fact that there was lively commentary on my post just says that a lot of people feel the same way, and no one likes to feel left out of an exclusive club. Especially not a spoiled little Princess! 🙂

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

• So, what your saying, is you weren’t talking about me? But, how can that be? It’s always all about me! 😉

I felt the same way before I was FPed, and honestly still feel the same way. I didn’t notice the crazy uptick in traffic, or get an absurd amount of likes or follows. It wasn’t the crazy payday that they make it out to be. Perhaps that was because mine was pressed as “fiction” rather than “politics” or “family” or “fallen superheroes” or something else that would grab the attention of a broader audience… Perhaps that’s the lesson learned, you should write a piece about updating the wardrobe of the supreme court justices, because, you know, black is so last year. Or, you could write a piece about how the AFA is going to affect your shopping habits. Tie your normal well written, witty, and entertaining posts to something current events related?

• Hey, it can’t be about you always, sometimes you’ve got to let the rest of us have a moment to shine! 😛
        AFA = ACA = Affordable Care Act = my tired mind making a mistake and trying not say “Obamacare”…
        Yes, they do need to press some of the wonderful anti-hunting blogs. I agree!
        However, how are they going to find them? What words are the editors searching to find blogs to consider for pressing? They can’t possibly read everything that gets posted every day…
        I’ve seen Le Clown do shoutouts to FP via twitter when he reads something he thinks should get pressed. Perhaps we should start a twitter campaign to raise awareness on one of the posts we think should get special attention?

• Now I think that is a wonderful idea! I would support any campaign at all that would shine a light on abuse/mistreatment/hunting. I’d be very happy to help someone who truly deserves attention for the good work they do. Let’s do it! The AFA (thanks for letting me know about that!) hasn’t affected us, cos hub is in a union. Le Clown is awesome BTW. I don’t know what words should be included, I’m not very good at that stuff…

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Enchanted Seashells…Confessions of a Tugbo

15. Yes,I saw teepee12 here and will,if and when things settle down here.I had brothers-in-law in,#1 Son staying here, grandkids almost constantly and ,I hope, cousins in for Thanksgiving.Family first, but I am , as you see, squeaking out essential ‘me time’ here.

16. Haha! That was a funny yet honest post 🙂 I don’t begrudge those who are FP either…at the same time I don’t really check it out..hehe. I don’t know…my way of looking for good blogs is to click on those who are bloggy friends with those I follow 🙂

Still…I’m sure you’re not chopped liver…a Yale Professor and author…now that’s endorsement 😉

Now it's your turn to share your pearls with me. Cheers!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s