Confession: I’m a smoothie freak.
I’ve been torturing my family for years, forcing them to drink the
sometimes often dreadful concoctions that I formulate from a deranged aggregate of ingredients — adding a little of this and a little of that — sometimes palatable, sometimes not.
While the raw Cauliflower-Brussel Sprouts Smoothie was NOT a winner, I think I’ve finally developed the PERFECT Green and Fruity Smoothie.
- Tastes delicious…no complaining and no gagging from anyone who drinks it (like the above mentioned Cauliflower-Brussel Sprouts smoothie)
- Helps with digestive/gall bladder issues (me)
- Provides lots of energy
- Protein Powder; I like Aria whey protein ‘cos it doesn’t taste chalky, but choose whatever you like
- Slippery Elm powder, great for digestion
- Flaxseed Meal, full of healthy fiber
- Chia seeds
- EmergenC, one or two packets
- Beets, canned/unsalted or from my garden (good for gall bladder)
- Powdered wheat grass or Very Green from Trader Joe’s
- Super Red Drink, also from Trader Joe’s
- Juices: A combo; Rio Red Grapefruit, Apple, Mango, Cranberry
- Banana (one or two)
- Any other fresh fruit, this time I used blueberries, but anything you have is yummy — from peaches to watermelon
- Nonfat yogurt, regular or Greek for more protein
- Ginger (to taste, I use about an inch-peeled)
- Turmeric…great anti-inflammatory (1 teaspoon)
- Cinammon (1 teaspoon)
- Ginseng (I use Korean Ginseng tea granules)
***Additions: I usually add a handful of kale, chard, spinach, parsley, mint…just about any greens, even dark leafy lettuce
I throw it all in the blender and process until very smooth. You’ll never taste the greens or the beets, but they add a bright undertone to the fruit. If you have a lime or a lemon, add a squeeze or two. I have a friend who tosses in a whole orange, peel and all, from her own organically grown tree. I’ve never done that, but it’s certainly an option.
Whether you try my smoothie as a meal replacement (like I do) or as a healthy between-meal snack, my Green and Fruity Smoothie will provide added energy and lots of nutrition for your busy day.
P.S. Yes, I use a lot of ingredients, but it’s still easy to do and can be made anywhere if you have a blender or even an immersion blender.
This is how I feel when I’m creating one of my smoothie masterpieces.
Lord have mercy!!! I will either turn into a Chia Pet or turn red from the Beets!
I guess I should have used quantities for chia/beets; it’s personal preference and not enough to grow inside lol! Thank you for stopping by:)
I’m not going to try this but I have some friends who drink things like this so I’m sharing it on Facebook.
Well, thank you for sharing! But are you SURE you won’t give it a try? Honestly, it’s delicious and even people who say it LOOKS horrible say it TASTES good. Truth!!
I bet Tugboat Man would like it if you wore the ‘Smoothie Outfit’ in the photo above!
HAHAHAHA. Good one! He’s easy to please, tho, especially when he’s been gone for 6 weeks lol
Such a man!